From: Jacques Landru <landru@××××.fr>
To: wolf31o2@g.o, gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:02:59
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:06 +0100, Jacques Landru wrote:
6 >>Before posting a question in a mailing list, I'd rather have a look in
7 >>the archive. Is there an archive of this gentoo catalyst mailing list ?
11 >This list is really new and as I understand it, zhen is working on
12 >getting an archive setup for it.
15 OK thank you.
19 >>I am trying to build a gentoo liveCD. I used gentoo catalyst reference
20 >>manual, spec file examples distributed with this reference manual and
21 >>the "howto build a liveCD" from the Gentoo wiki. Each step is a
22 >>challenge. If I have success, I'll try to publish complementary notes,
23 >>especially, for the traps I encoutered (kernel panic due to ramfs size,
24 >>CDROM not known, squashfs patch...). Publication of a minimal liveCD
25 >>subset of the kernel config parameter would probably be a great help
26 >>for me.
30 >Well, we do have some of our configuration stuff in CVS, but nothing has
31 >been published or released into the portage tree simply due to lack of
32 >time on our part.
35 I can understand. Catalyst, still in development, is yet a great tool
36 for me.
40 >>I have two questions:
41 >>A) The goal of that livecd is a zero installation virtual model for
42 >>network lab. It's based on VNUML (Virtual Network User Mode Linux
43 >>http://www.dit.upm.es/vnuml/) a spanish project based on usermode
44 >>linux.(UML).
45 >>As the liveCD will be used to launch UML (usermode linux) virtual
46 >>machines , I need a SKAS (Single Kernel Address Space) patched kernel on
47 >>the liveCD. The Blaisorblade's SKAS patch
48 >>(http://www.user-mode-linux.org/~blaisorblade/patchlist.html) is not
49 >>avalaible in the official gentoo kernel package database, what is the
50 >>best way to intergrate my specific skas kernel on the liveCD? I have not
51 >>found how to automatically integrate specific kernel patch on the
52 >>development-sources during the catalyst stage2 or the genkernel step.
53 >>What I plan to do is to uncompress the iso file, change the kernel in
54 >>the isolinux dir and compress again the iso file. Is there a more
55 >>elegant way? Is it possible to force catalyst to use a local kernel
56 >>source dir instead of one of the on-line sys-kernel source package ?
60 >The best way to add your kernel is to make an ebuild for it and add the
61 >ebuild to your portage tree before making a snapshot. Neither catalyst,
62 >nor genkernel, are designed to do any patching of the kernel.
65 I am not very familar with eduild development. I had to learn. But
66 that's one thing I appreciate
67 with Gentoo distribution and its good documentation.
71 >>B) As this liveCD will be used in a pedagogical computer lab, I would
72 >>like it to boot as a generic user, instead of the root. I don't want the
73 >>student having superuser rights on the real host (student will have
74 >>superuser rights in the usermode virtual machine). What is the best way
75 >>to do a "user livecd" with catalyst ?
79 >We have not done anything like this, so there is no best way. In fact,
80 >using the current tools and methods, the scripts to build a LiveCD
81 >completely assume that the user will be root, as our LiveCD tools are
82 >designed to build installation media.
83 >
84 >If you stick with catalyst 1.1.1, and don't use catalyst 1.1.2, which I
85 >will be releasing in the next day or so, then you will be able to build
86 >a user LiveCD. The newer 1.1.2 version does even more to ensure proper
87 >root auto-login, using /bin/bashlogin from the baselayout package.
88 >Also, if you skip the reinstallation of baselayout in livecd-stage1,
89 >then you will not get the LiveCD scripts on your system, so the system
90 >will not try to auto-login as root.
91 >
92 >What you would need to do at this point would be create a fsscript for
93 >livecd-stage2 to modify the filesystem for your user. This could be
94 >running "adduser" and "passwd" to get the user information into your CD.
95 >Essentially, you're going to have to do a lot of work. Catalyst is
96 >capable of doing what you want with it, but the Release Engineering
97 >project has nothing in place or in use like you want.
101 >>And a note : I test my liveCD iso file using QEMU virtual machine
102 >>instead of burning it. With 2.6.x kernel QEMU need "clock=pit" param
103 >>when kernel is launched. In the python sources of catalyst I found a
104 >>"/boot/kernel/xxx/kernelopts" parameter which can append kernel
105 >>parameters in the isolinux.cfg file. I 'll probably add a gentoo-qemu
106 >>kernelboot to have a "qemu" entry in the isolinux.
107 >>This "/boot/kernel/xxx/kernelopts" is not refered in the catalyst
108 >>reference manual. I think in a future version of the reference manual,
109 >>it would be a good idea to mention it.
113 >There's tons of stuff not listed in the reference manual. This is
114 >because I generally make changes constantly to catalyst, and we are
115 >simply overworked when it comes to documentation.
118 As I said earlier, i can understand. At this stage, development has
119 greater priority.
120
121 Jacques Landru
128 -----oOo-----