From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:32:06
1 On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:06 +0100, Jacques Landru wrote:
2 > Before posting a question in a mailing list, I'd rather have a look in
3 > the archive. Is there an archive of this gentoo catalyst mailing list ?
4
5 This list is really new and as I understand it, zhen is working on
6 getting an archive setup for it.
7
8 > I am trying to build a gentoo liveCD. I used gentoo catalyst reference
9 > manual, spec file examples distributed with this reference manual and
10 > the "howto build a liveCD" from the Gentoo wiki. Each step is a
11 > challenge. If I have success, I'll try to publish complementary notes,
12 > especially, for the traps I encoutered (kernel panic due to ramfs size,
13 > CDROM not known, squashfs patch...). Publication of a minimal liveCD
14 > subset of the kernel config parameter would probably be a great help
15 > for me.
16
17 Well, we do have some of our configuration stuff in CVS, but nothing has
18 been published or released into the portage tree simply due to lack of
19 time on our part.
20
21 > I have two questions:
22 > A) The goal of that livecd is a zero installation virtual model for
23 > network lab. It's based on VNUML (Virtual Network User Mode Linux
24 > http://www.dit.upm.es/vnuml/) a spanish project based on usermode
25 > linux.(UML).
26 > As the liveCD will be used to launch UML (usermode linux) virtual
27 > machines , I need a SKAS (Single Kernel Address Space) patched kernel on
28 > the liveCD. The Blaisorblade's SKAS patch
29 > (http://www.user-mode-linux.org/~blaisorblade/patchlist.html) is not
30 > avalaible in the official gentoo kernel package database, what is the
31 > best way to intergrate my specific skas kernel on the liveCD? I have not
32 > found how to automatically integrate specific kernel patch on the
33 > development-sources during the catalyst stage2 or the genkernel step.
34 > What I plan to do is to uncompress the iso file, change the kernel in
35 > the isolinux dir and compress again the iso file. Is there a more
36 > elegant way? Is it possible to force catalyst to use a local kernel
37 > source dir instead of one of the on-line sys-kernel source package ?
38
39 The best way to add your kernel is to make an ebuild for it and add the
40 ebuild to your portage tree before making a snapshot. Neither catalyst,
41 nor genkernel, are designed to do any patching of the kernel.
42
43 > B) As this liveCD will be used in a pedagogical computer lab, I would
44 > like it to boot as a generic user, instead of the root. I don't want the
45 > student having superuser rights on the real host (student will have
46 > superuser rights in the usermode virtual machine). What is the best way
47 > to do a "user livecd" with catalyst ?
48
49 We have not done anything like this, so there is no best way. In fact,
50 using the current tools and methods, the scripts to build a LiveCD
51 completely assume that the user will be root, as our LiveCD tools are
52 designed to build installation media.
53
54 If you stick with catalyst 1.1.1, and don't use catalyst 1.1.2, which I
55 will be releasing in the next day or so, then you will be able to build
56 a user LiveCD. The newer 1.1.2 version does even more to ensure proper
57 root auto-login, using /bin/bashlogin from the baselayout package.
58 Also, if you skip the reinstallation of baselayout in livecd-stage1,
59 then you will not get the LiveCD scripts on your system, so the system
60 will not try to auto-login as root.
61
62 What you would need to do at this point would be create a fsscript for
63 livecd-stage2 to modify the filesystem for your user. This could be
64 running "adduser" and "passwd" to get the user information into your CD.
65 Essentially, you're going to have to do a lot of work. Catalyst is
66 capable of doing what you want with it, but the Release Engineering
67 project has nothing in place or in use like you want.
68
69 > And a note : I test my liveCD iso file using QEMU virtual machine
70 > instead of burning it. With 2.6.x kernel QEMU need "clock=pit" param
71 > when kernel is launched. In the python sources of catalyst I found a
72 > "/boot/kernel/xxx/kernelopts" parameter which can append kernel
73 > parameters in the isolinux.cfg file. I 'll probably add a gentoo-qemu
74 > kernelboot to have a "qemu" entry in the isolinux.
75 > This "/boot/kernel/xxx/kernelopts" is not refered in the catalyst
76 > reference manual. I think in a future version of the reference manual,
77 > it would be a good idea to mention it.
78
79 There's tons of stuff not listed in the reference manual. This is
80 because I generally make changes constantly to catalyst, and we are
81 simply overworked when it comes to documentation.
84 Chris Gianelloni
85 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
86 Games - Developer
87 Gentoo Linux