From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst enhancement
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:41:33
1 On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 23:39 +0200, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2 > This puzzles me, if making a tool easier to use for it's users isn't a
3 > valid reason for hacking at the tool, then what is ?
4
5 Well, I know I have said this before, but I'll say it again here. We
6 develop catalyst for our own usage first, and everyone else second. If
7 it doesn't directly impact Release Engineering, it immediately gets a
8 back seat to changes that we need/want. When I said "you" here, I meant
9 you specifically, not any other form of you.
10
11 > It was a dual request, if nobody on list would be using the
12 > functionality I'll maintain a patch outside the tree for our benefit.
13
14 This was really my question. Would other people use it?
15
16 One of the biggest problems that we have had with catalyst is people
17 that want to change catalyst to meet their own specific needs and our
18 need to balance things out so that we don't end up with unused code
19 paths. Having a single, consistent interface for the spec files allows
20 for much simpler support on a product that we honestly wished we didn't
21 have to support, at all. If the change is something that lots of people
22 would likely use, such as the stage4 target, then we will add it even if
23 we don't use it ourselves. Our general rule is don't change anything
24 unless there is a really good reason. As I said, simply making things
25 slightly more convenient isn't really a good enough reason, IMO, unless
26 a lot of people would use the functionality, and even then, it would
27 depend on code availability and maintainability. Of course, writing up
28 a patch resolves the first issue, but the second would still remain.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
33 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
34 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
35 Gentoo Foundation