From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Keeping a test environment using catalyst
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:39:12
1 %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
2
3 >> I quite understand your position: you are using ostensibly stable
4 >> Gentoo packages and your work is focused on making sure Catalyst
5 >> works. I'm using unstable/development packages and assuming that
6 >> Catalyst is stable.
7
8 cg> Catalyst is anything but stable. It works quite well for building
9 cg> a *Gentoo* release, but is not well suited for other things (yet)
10 cg> simply due to that being the only focus of catalyst until
11 cg> recently.
12
13 :-) Yes, understood.
14
15 >> My current project is understanding where the kernel boot parameters
16 >> come from (my bootline has "nodhcp" which I don't want). My other
17 >> problem is that the hardware detection stuff is running too late in the
18 >> "default" boot process; it brings up eth0, then sshd, then apache,
19 >> _THEN_ runs the hardware detection. So, I can't quite figure out how it
20 >> brings up eth0 without detecting the hardware... maybe it runs twice?
21
22 cg> All of the boot parameters come from the archscript.
23
24 I found this now.
25
26 cg> Normally, autoconfig is started first due to it being first
27 cg> alphabetically.
28
29 Oops. That's not terribly robust :-). I'm adding "apache2" and that
30 comes before "autoconfig". Not sure why SSH is starting earlier, but
31 apache2 depends on "net" and presumably (although there isn't a "net"
32 runscript) that somehow translates into net.eth0 etc.
33
34 cg> The "hwsetup" portion you see on the Gentoo releases is done by
35 cg> autoconfig, and runs before coldplug.
36
37 Hm. In my version of autoconfig this seems to be commented out:
38
39 depend() {
40 need modules
41 use alsasound
42 # provide gpm pcmcia apmd acpid coldplug
43 }
44
45 Maybe that's my problem? I'm getting this from livecd-tools-1.0.20.
46
47 I don't see anything depending on coldplug either.
48
49 It sure would be nice if the rc scripts tools had some debugging
50 capabilities, like a "don't do it" mode that just printed what would be
51 run for a given runlevel or init script, and why. It would make this
52 stuff a lot simpler...
53
54 It seems like basic things like "net" should depend on coldplug and/or
55 autoconfig.
56
57 cg> Just curious, but what arch are you building? x86? amd64? ppc?
58
59 x86
63 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
64 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
66 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
67 --
68 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list