From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Keeping a test environment using catalyst
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:57:46
1 On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 14:39 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > Oops. That's not terribly robust :-). I'm adding "apache2" and that
3 > comes before "autoconfig". Not sure why SSH is starting earlier, but
4 > apache2 depends on "net" and presumably (although there isn't a "net"
5 > runscript) that somehow translates into net.eth0 etc.
6
7 Well, in Gentoo, unless it is moved due to dependency, it will start
8 alphabetically. Also 2 init scripts with the same dependencies (say
9 apache2 and apcupsd) will start alphabetically, since both have "need
10 net" and nothing to do with each other.
11
12 I am adding a "before net" to autoconfig, which should resolve this
13 issue.
14
15 > cg> The "hwsetup" portion you see on the Gentoo releases is done by
16 > cg> autoconfig, and runs before coldplug.
17 >
18 > Hm. In my version of autoconfig this seems to be commented out:
19
20 > depend() {
21 > need modules
22 > use alsasound
23 > # provide gpm pcmcia apmd acpid coldplug
24 > }
25 >
26 > Maybe that's my problem? I'm getting this from livecd-tools-1.0.20.
27
28 hwsetup, not the depend. That line is commented on purpose, as I still
29 haven't found a good way to get this to work without throwing warnings
30 all over the screen about "$blah already provided by autoconfig,
31 skipping"... for some reason, users like to file bug about anything that
32 shows up on the screen that they think could possibly be an error... ;]
33
34 > I don't see anything depending on coldplug either.
35
36 No, but read the script. It starts coldplug itself. If you add
37 coldplug via rcadd/rc-update, then you're short-circuiting the boot.
38 Remember that some of this stuff is a hack that "just works" when used
39 for the releases... ;]
40
41 > It sure would be nice if the rc scripts tools had some debugging
42 > capabilities, like a "don't do it" mode that just printed what would be
43 > run for a given runlevel or init script, and why. It would make this
44 > stuff a lot simpler...
45
46 Yeah, the init system still is kinda a black art.
47
48 > It seems like basic things like "net" should depend on coldplug and/or
49 > autoconfig.
50
51 Except that net requires neither. That and the baselayout guys don't
52 like to "pollute" the base init scripts, but rather would suggest that
53 autoconfig should "use net", which I have just added.
54
55 As for coldplug, it is started by autoconfig itself, and should never be
56 added manually to a LiveCD.
59 Chris Gianelloni
61 Games - Developer
62 Gentoo Linux