From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] 'stage4 tarball'
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:19:06
1 Matthias Langer wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 15:50 -0600, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >> Matthias Langer wrote:
4 >>> Is it possible to somehow build the complete p3 system with custom use
5 >>> and cflags with my athlon-xp at home to get some kind of
6 >>> 'stage4-tarball' that i just have to unpack to the hardisk of the
7 >>> p3-system (instead of the stage3 tarball) ?
8 >> Yes, but you don't need catalyst to do it. You can easily extract a stage3
9 >> tarball into a directory, chroot into it, do whatever you want, exit the chroot,
10 >> and then tar up the directory. The result is essentially a "stage4".
11 >>
12 > Thanks for your tip; However, two small questions remain:
13 > 1.) What options should i pass to tar when packing the chrooted
14 > environment ?
15
16 tar -C /path/to/chroot/dir -cjpf /path/to/stage4.tar.bz2 .
17
18 > 2.) Is there a way to eject the live-cd after booting, so that i can
19 > insert a cd with my custom "stage 4" ?
20
21 Add 'docache' (or something like that) to the kernel command line. It's
22 documented somewhere :) Although, if both machines are on the same network, it'd
23 probably be easier to just transfer the tarball via NFS, scp, http, etc. once
24 the CD is booted.
27 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
28 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
29 --
30 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list