From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Sudo Issues
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:22:32
1 On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 13:02 -0500, Kessler, Paul wrote:
2 > Fatal server error.
3 >
4 > Server is already active for display 0
5
6 This is actually because you're using *dm to start up X, rather than
7 startx. I think I need to add something to the *dm scripts to rm
8 -f /etc/startx when they start-up. Anyway, you can add "rm
9 -f /etc/startx" pretty much anywhere on your system to remove this
10 error. You can even rm it in your livecd-stage2 spec file.
11
12 > After a few seconds it drops me to the proper command prompt, after
13 > that if I drop back to the regular user shell and try it again then
14 > there is no error and it works fine.
15
16 Check out root's .bashrc and you'll see where this is coming from.
17
18 > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
19
20 By default, sudo clears the environment. You can change this in the
21 sudo configuration, though I also recommend adding a "xhost +localhost"
22 somewhere in your *user's* start-up scripts, after X has started, so
23 something like .xsessionrc...
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
28 Games - Developer