From: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst stages inter-dependencies
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:07:30
1 2009/12/2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
2
3 > No. If you had experimented a little with catalyst and spec files
4 > this is one of the things that you would have discovered immediately
5 > from the catalyst output.
8 Pretty fair... I experimented "a little" with catalyst. Except if a little
9 means "more than 3 days".
10 As I used unmerge and remove directives (as suggested by examples specs), I
11 could not figure it out easily, sorry I have to ask, but except if I get it
12 wrong, that mostly why mailing-lists come for : answering for more
13 experimented users feedback.
16 > Every catalyst target uses a source tarball, and the created target
17 > will contain everything in that source tarball which you do not
18 > remove.
21 OK so let's say I define a profile early.
22 If I build a stage1, I'll have to use a existing stage3.
23 Will this stage1 have stage3 files which are not removed ? No I think.
24 But then if I want to build stage2, catalyst will be expecting stage1 to be
25 able to build stage2 isn't it ?
26 The point (since the begining), is that I don't want my base system to have
27 gcc and portage. I don't want to remove them : I don't want them at all. In
28 any stage.
29 So I really don't get why I would have to create a profile, stage1 to stage4
30 ... to still remove and unmerge gcc and portage at the end !
33 I think I don't get clear on my aim :
34 I want to make a build env with gcc/portage/all the build stuff. From this
35 env I want to build a target from scratch.
36 The target won't have build tools in it at any point.
37 I don't want the usual Gentoo way where all stage is built by preceding one,
38 and is composed of preceding one.
39 I want build place and target to be clearly separated, and I don't wat to
40 apply a "remove things" behavior to target.
41
42 I try things with catalyst, I promise, including writing profile, but I
43 don't get to my aim.
44 And you still seems pretty sure that catalyst can do that !
48 Pierre.
49 "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I
50 wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice." -
51 Bill Watterson