From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Catalyst stages inter-dependencies
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:44:22
1 Shinkan wrote:
2 > Just one simple question :
3 > Let's say I want to use a base official gentoo stage3 to build a
4 > stage4 with catalyst.
5 > Let's say I wrote my own profile, which defines a very very minimal
6 > system with no gcc, no portage, ..., and that I use this profile
7 > for stage4.
8
9 This is an error. It may work, but if you are going to use a custom
10 profile you should create all stages where profile differences will
11 result in different contents than what release engineering produces.
12 This goes at least back to stage2 and maybe even stage1.
15 > If I use catalyst stage4 spec file type, which takes a stage3 as a
16 > seed, would my stage4 contains everything from stage3 (that I don't
17 > explicitely remove),
18
19 Yes.
22 > or would my stage4 be built from scratch by stage3 (and contains
23 > just system ports my stage4 profile specified) ?
24
25 No. If you had experimented a little with catalyst and spec files
26 this is one of the things that you would have discovered immediately
27 from the catalyst output.
30 > The same question goes for livecd.
31
32 The same answer.
35 > Would my final livecd contain stage3 or livecd-stage1 build tools
36 > if I define a minimal system profile for livecd-stage2 ?
37
38 Every catalyst target uses a source tarball, and the created target
39 will contain everything in that source tarball which you do not
40 remove.
43 This is why it is smart to create your own profile and build your own
44 early stages. That way your early stages will never include any of
45 the packages that are good for standard systems but which you do not
46 want in your final targets.
49 //Peter