From: Georg Lippold <georg.lippold@×××.de>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] /proc/cmdline limit of 256 chars
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:11:08
1 Hi,
2
3 I just wanted to add a few bootup options to my LiveCD (such as desired
4 X-resolution, default editor, username preferences etc. (got some
5 inspiration from Paul Kessler) but I have the problem that /proc/cmdline
6 seems to be limited to 256 chars: I appended some options to the
7 standard kernel-options and the CD didn't boot any more (when I do this
8 via livecd-stage2.conf). If I append the options via commandline on the
9 boot-prompt, they are ignored.
10
11 I found out, that the maximum length of the command line is 256 chars
12 ('cat /proc/cmdline | wc -c'), the rest is truncated. One problem is,
13 that the default options for a livecd take up very much space. This
14 could be fixed in genkernel.
15
16 On the other hand, I found a (pretty recent) kernel patch, that
17 increases this limit to 512 chars:
18
19 http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-June/005313.html
20
21 As it seems, syslinux 3.09 (which can be used with genkernel) already
22 supports it. Maybe it can be included in gentoo-sources? I checked with
23 gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r2 and the feature is not included.
24
25 Greetings,
26
27 Georg