From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] /proc/cmdline limit of 256 chars
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:34:49
1 On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 17:10 +0200, Georg Lippold wrote:
2 > I found out, that the maximum length of the command line is 256 chars
3 > ('cat /proc/cmdline | wc -c'), the rest is truncated. One problem is,
4 > that the default options for a livecd take up very much space. This
5 > could be fixed in genkernel.
6
7 Try not using gensplash.
8
9 Turning off gensplash (with the default livecd-2005.1 theme) saves 45
10 characters on the command line. You can still actually use bootsplash
11 with this scenario, you just won't be using gentoo-sources to do it.
12
13 > On the other hand, I found a (pretty recent) kernel patch, that
14 > increases this limit to 512 chars:
15 >
16 > http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2005-June/005313.html
17 >
18 > As it seems, syslinux 3.09 (which can be used with genkernel) already
19 > supports it. Maybe it can be included in gentoo-sources? I checked with
20 > gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r2 and the feature is not included.
21
22 Well, catalyst is already using 3.09 of syslinux, and genkernel has
23 nothing to do with syslinux. If you think this is something worth
24 having, submit a bug report against gentoo-sources on
25 http://bugs.gentoo.org so they can add the patch. I wouldn't see a
26 problem with that considering I am about to add X resolution support to
27 mkxf86config, and it gets that information from the command line.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
32 x86 Architecture Team
33 Games - Developer