From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-catalyst] alsa in livecd stage1
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:29:22
1 On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 08:29 -0500, Kessler, Paul wrote:
2 > Setting up Alsa in the kernel is the recommended way of doing things
3 > actually, it really does involve less work. By using the alsa-driver
4
5 That is not the recommended way from the developers.
6
7 > package you will need to re-emerge the alsa-driver anytime you recompile
8 > your kernel. The only real advantage to using the driver package is
9
10 I don't expect people to be recompiling a kernel on a LiveCD... ;]
11
12 > newer drivers, personally I prefer the much more stable and tested
13 > drivers that are built into the kernel for stability. After trying both
14
15 The in-kernel drivers usually have fewer features, and have been known
16 to have bugs in them that were fixed in the alsa-driver package.
17
18 > methods with my live cd adding the kernel options just plain worked
19 > better for me while using gnome. I can't speak for KDE, although I am
20 > getting curious and maybe today I kick off an build using that just to
21 > see what happens. Good Luck!
22
23 All official Gentoo media uses alsa-driver.
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
28 x86 Architecture Team
29 Games - Developer