From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Missing /root
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:10:56
1 Åsmund Grammeltvedt wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 19 September 2007 18:24:33 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 17:23 +0200, Ã…smund Grammeltvedt wrote:
4 >>>> However, it may just create it with USE=build. Check the
5 >>>> vdb in your stage1 to see what package owns the /root directory.
6 >>> ccache, apparently. Baselayout _should_ also create /root, but something
7 >>> seems to go wrong along the way. I guess I should rebuild and check the
8 >>> logs.
9 >> Please do. If you find it to be an issue with baselayout, please file a
10 >> bug so we can get it fixed before we start our next release.
11 >
12 > Hm, I haven't had time to actually check if this happens, but the current
13 > theory is this:
14 >
15 > Baselayout creates /root, but avoids becoming the owner by
16 > generating /usr/share/baselayout/mkdirs.sh and then running it in
17 > pkg_preinst.
18 >
19 > When ccache is unmerged at the end of the stage build, it removes /root, since
20 > its the sole owner.
21 >
22 > Does that seem plausible?
23
24 Sure, that explanation is very plausible. Since ccache isn't enabled by default
25 and most of us don't use it for release building, we never would have seen it.
26 It may even be the reason that wolf31o2 recommends that it not be used.
29 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
30 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
31 --
32 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list