From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst wants to build kazehakase against firefox even with xulrunner flag set
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:08:39
1 On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 16:49 +0100, ducasse.isidore@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 21:21:54 -0500
3 > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > As for using the 2007.0 profile... Don't... ever. Never use a profile
6 > > that isn't released, as they're likely to be screwed up at any point in
7 > > time, since we're testing them and expect anyone using them to be
8 > > developers, capable of fixing bugs themselves (including commits... ;] )
9 >
10 > What does "commits" mean? Is it about how to report a [real] bug? I'm not a developer anyway.
11
12 No, it means unless you can fix it yourself, don't use it. This means
13 you really need to be a developer. I break the profiles *ON PURPOSE*
14 quite a lot prior to release to test things. Quite honestly, I don't
15 care if anyone is using the profiles, since they're under dev and I've
16 added about as much warning as I can via the README explaining that if
17 it doesn't work as expected, it's not a bug, but a feature. ;]
18
19 Basically, don't ever use any profiles you see in the tree higher than
20 the latest release version stages on the mirrors. The only reason you
21 *ever* would do so is if the architecture team of Release Engineering
22 has asked for testing and you're assisting. Anything else is asking for
23 trouble.
24
25 Another thing is that we're known to leave dev profiles in the tree
26 after we've done our release snapshot. We test and make changes in the
27 snapshot, then commit all the fixes to the tree at once when we move the
28 profile out of dev. Again, save yourself some headache and simply don't
29 use them.
30
31 > Thanks for the quick answering. I'll stick on your good remarks.
32 >
33 > BTW may I post a success story about catalyst on the list? (soon to come)
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
38 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
39 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
40 Gentoo Foundation