From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Seeing devices during initrd
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:50:30
1 %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
2
3 cg> Are you booting with doscsi?
4
5 >> No (I assume you mean on the kernel command line). Is this interpreted
6 >> by udev, or is it supposed to be examined by linuxrc?
7
8 cg> No. It is interpreted by linuxrc, which in turn activates the SCSI
9 cg> modules and then starts udev, so SCSI devices should be available.
10
11 Hm. I DO have stuff in my linuxrc version which attempts to insmod the
12 different scsi modules. In fact, it does load the BusLogic SCSI module
13 successfully.
14
15 Nevertheless, there is no device in /dev for this. Is there more to it
16 than just loading the module?
19 You mention above that udev is started AFTER the modules are loaded: is
20 this correct? It seems to me like it would make more sense for udev to
21 start before anything is loaded, so it can be notified when things get
22 loaded and set up the right stuff in /dev.
23
24 I start udev right at the beginning of linuxrc, before any SCSI modules
25 are loaded... is this a problem?
26
27 cg> SATA is started automatically. We only do not start SCSI
28 cg> automatically because some drivers are known to cause lockups on
29 cg> some systems.
30
31 OK.
35 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
36 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
38 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
39 --
40 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list