From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Seeing devices during initrd
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:58:20
1 On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:37 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > %% Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 > cg> udev in the initrd only loads a subset of device nodes, rather
5 > cg> than them all
6 >
7 > cg> Are you booting with doscsi?
8 >
9 > No (I assume you mean on the kernel command line). Is this interpreted
10 > by udev, or is it supposed to be examined by linuxrc?
11
12 No. It is interpreted by linuxrc, which in turn activates the SCSI
13 modules and then starts udev, so SCSI devices should be available.
14
15 > Also, I will need support for SATA drives in the initrd as well...
16
17 SATA is started automatically. We only do not start SCSI automatically
18 because some drivers are known to cause lockups on some systems.
21 > cg> If so, then it should be creating device nodes for them. Anyway,
22 > cg> I would recommend you testing genkernel 3.2.0_preX versions if
23 > cg> you're wanting to get this fixed (if it is even an issue) before
24 > cg> 3.2.0 goes final.
25 >
26 > OK, I'll take a look at that.
29 Chris Gianelloni