From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Migrating man page to asciidoc?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:27:19
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 26-06-2011 17:55, Peter Stuge wrote:
5 > William Hubbs wrote:
6 >> Yes, it was added a couple of days ago, without giving a reasonable
7 >> amount of time for discussion.
8 >
9 > You know just as well as I do that this thread is the most discussion
10 > that this mailing list has seen in a very long time. Sebastian wants
11 > to make some progress. I see no problem.
12
13 Yes and I'm happy to see people interested on catalyst.
14 However, given the recent discussions I feel I should point out that
15 catalyst is Release Engineering's team release tool and not a "toy" for
16 people to tinker with.
17 I appreciate the interest all of you are showing for the tool and I
18 appreciate any improvements, but I and other releng team members need
19 this tool to work for us to have releases.
20
21 >> For a significant change like this,
22 >
23 > "significant" is so subjective though.
24
25 It did made a significant change to the dependencies of catalyst.
26 I haven't checked it closely yet, but I also wonder if all the
27 additional deps are worth avoiding a single man page in the tarball.
28
29 >> I think we should give 24-48 hours and make the patch visible
30 >> somewhere
31 >
32 > It is clear that you are displeased because you think you did not
33 > have a chance to oppose the change before it was made. I can
34 > understand, but in reality I doubt the one opposing voice would
35 > have made a difference.
36
37 William is not the only one to have concerns about this change.
38 Also, prior to the subscription by agaffney, armin76 and myself, this
39 list probably had little if any releng members. As this is a releng
40 tool, not having us around to "object" doesn't make it ok to commit
41 changes without ensuring releng is ok with the changes.
42
43 >> Based on this as well as my previous objections I would like to see
44 >> this change reverted.
45 >
46 > I disagree and hope that most others do as well, so that development
47 > will continue instead of being stuck on senseless arguing with you.
48
49 I'm sorry but this is not about arguing with William. This is about
50 making sure that the people interested as well as the direct consumers
51 of the tool are ok with any proposed changes.
52 I'm sure no one wants to risk causing a split that could lead to either
53 releng assuming control of catalyst again or worse causing a fork in the
54 code.
55
56 > What about my suggestion to fix the actual problem, asciidoc
57 > dependencies, did you bother looking into that yet? (I haven't
58 > because I don't feel at all strongly.)
59 >
60 > Thanks!
63 > //Peter
64
65 - --
66 Regards,
67
68 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
69 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng