From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] TEST REQUEST: catalyst-2.0_rc50
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:53:08
1 On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 21:08 +0200, "Andreas Rückert" wrote:
2 > Maybe it's just, that 1.x is too good to update... :-)
3
4 Well, it is pretty stable. The main thing is it hasn't gotten any
5 bug-fixes, either. Of course, you've probably also worked out any bugs
6 that you had with it long ago.
7
8 > You know, we (as an example) are in the middle of a commercial venture, and we update, when an update is
9 > _required_ , not when it's nice to have...
10
11 Well, it'll never be "required" since it is open source. However,
12 "upstream" (as in the catalyst developers) are moving forward and we
13 will stop offering catalyst 1.x within the next month. While you're
14 definitely welcome to keep using it, consider this your notice to keep a
15 local copy of the ebuilds and the distfiles.
16
17 > I guess you know what they say about updates. Updates means new code with new bugs, which require new
18 > bugfixes. 1x is far from perfect, but it works for us...
19
20 Well, catalyst 2.x has definitely had its share. I mean, would we be on
21 release candidate *50* if it hadn't? ;]
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
26 x86 Architecture Team
27 Games - Developer