From: William Kilian <will@×××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] LAMP-in-a-box.
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:32:53
1 Nathan de Vries wrote:
2
3 > First of all, how do I use a portage_overlay to mask particular
4 > packages (specifically, I would like Apache1 instead of Apache2)?
5
6 You don't. Portage overlay is for writing your own ebuilds. You want to
7 use portage_confdir to specify the path to a /etc/portage style
8 directory. The /etc/portage directory is best described in man 5
9 portage. It sounds like you need to read that.
10
11 > My other question is, when I have to specify the kernel config I will
12 > be using (boot/kernel/gentoo/config:)...what exactly do I specify?
13
14 I don't know the answer to that question. I see in the catalyst
15 reference manual that this option is used to specify the full path to
16 the config file for your kernel. You should know where that file is
17 because you saved the file. The default location for linux is ".config"
18 in the kernel source directory. If you're asking how your kernel should
19 be configured, your question is at the wrong list. Try the Gentoo forums.
20
21 > I want this liveCD to boot on pretty much any x86 box (I have subarch
22 > set to x86 for this reason), so shouldn't this kernel config be
23 > calculated on boot somehow?
24
25 That's not possible. A kernel config is used to build a kernel. A kernel
26 can't boot without being built. So a kernel config can't be calculated
27 on boot, because "calculating" a config would mean that you were going
28 to build the kernel. I doubt you want to build a kernel on every boot ;-)
29
30 You want to use kernel modules, then you can load what is necessary at
31 boot. Kernel modules are loaded generally at one of two different times
32 in the boot process, once from an initial ramdisk (initrd) loaded before
33 init runs, and once by the modules autoload service.
34
35 > I'm also getting issues with a "loop devices" no being enabled in the
36 > kernel for some reason. Is CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y enough?
37
38 I don't know. I generally use make menuconfig for generating my kernel
39 config files, so I don't know the kernel config option names. Further, I
40 usually compile loop device support as a module. At any rate, that's a
41 kernel config question, not a catalyst question.
42
43 > As you can see, I'm not he sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to
44 > Linux. I'd call myself a user rather than a power user, but I'm hoping
45 > to make the switch :)
46
47 Just keep banging on it and reading the documentation. You'll catch on.
48 I suggest you take your questions to the Gentoo Forums because you are
49 asking more about general portage use and kernel configuration than
50 catalyst usage. You might find the answers just by searching the forums.
51
52 Cheers,
53
54 Will