From: Nathan de Vries <ndv@××.net>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-catalyst] LAMP-in-a-box.
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:22:51
1 Hi there,
2 I think one of my emails was recently forwarded to here, so I decided to
3 join the list and check out what some other people are using Catalyst for.
4 I have changed my mind with my liveCD, and decided that it will run
5 entirely as the server (Apache, Postgres, PHP), rather than as the client
6 too. The latter is far beyond me I think.
7
8 Anyway, I have been trying to get this going for quite a while...and I'm
9 struggling with a few concepts. First of all, how do I use a
10 portage_overlay to mask particular packages (specifically, I would like
11 Apache1 instead of Apache2)? My other question is, when I have to specify
12 the kernel config I will be using (boot/kernel/gentoo/config:)...what
13 exactly do I specify? I want this liveCD to boot on pretty much any x86
14 box (I have subarch set to x86 for this reason), so shouldn't this kernel
15 config be calculated on boot somehow? I'm also getting issues with a "loop
16 devices" no being enabled in the kernel for some reason. Is
17 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y enough?
18
19 As you can see, I'm not he sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to
20 Linux. I'd call myself a user rather than a power user, but I'm hoping to
21 make the switch :)
22
23 Thanks in advance,
26 Nathan de Vries.