From: Robert Paskowitz <rpaskowitz@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] LAMP-in-a-box.
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:43:20
1 > Anyway, I have been trying to get this going for quite a while...and I'm
2 > struggling with a few concepts. First of all, how do I use a
3 > portage_overlay to mask particular packages (specifically, I would like
4 > Apache1 instead of Apache2)? My other question is, when I have to specify
5 > the kernel config I will be using (boot/kernel/gentoo/config:)...what
6 > exactly do I specify? I want this liveCD to boot on pretty much any x86
7 > box (I have subarch set to x86 for this reason), so shouldn't this kernel
8 > config be calculated on boot somehow? I'm also getting issues with a "loop
9 > devices" no being enabled in the kernel for some reason. Is
10 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y enough?
11 >
12 The kernel cannot be 'built' at boot time persay, but the modules to
13 load can. For a cd that will run just about anywhere, I'd recommend
14 grabbing on of the releng release kernel configs from cvs
15 (gentoo/src/releng/kconfig/2005.0/x86) and using that. It has the
16 important stuff enabled, and nearly everything else as a module. Since
17 it is being built through genkernel, you also end up with an initrd that
18 will handle a lot of hardware detection.
19
20 As for how to specify the config, it will be located somewhere outside
21 the chroot, and should be listed with a fully qualified path.
22
23 Note that if you plan to use precisely that config, you should first
24 place it in a kernel source tree for the actual kernel that will be used
25 and do a 'make oldconfig'. genkernel will do this for you, but for input
26 it uses /bin/yes, which may not be desired.
27
28 Robert