From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Python 3 support
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 22:46:50
1 On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 17:06 -0400, Matthew Ruffalo wrote:
2 > Hi all-
3 >
4 > First, thanks for the great tool. I've been using Gentoo for about 10
5 > years, and I use Catalyst to build custom Gentoo live CDs that contain
6 > extra software (e.g. netcat6, rsync, ddrescue, etc.).
9 Yeah, py3 support is on our list of things todo. We would love to get
10 help porting. BUT, things are rather slow at getting done at the moment.
11 I have started a rewrite branch that I am told is what they intend to
12 change the development branch to. It has been restructured with
13 numerous other fixes done to clean up the code. There are still a ton
14 more things to do.
15
16 There are a few of us waiting for the change to happen before doing a
17 bunch of work that may need rebasing because of other changes done to
18 the current master. I had that happen once where I did a big re-write
19 (another project) and it took nearly 4 years to get merged. I had to
20 rebase numerous times as well as port changes to the new code many
21 times. :( I also had to migrate the VCS in the midst of it.
22
23 Personally I think it may be better to wait a bit on the py3
24 compatibility changes. Many of the potential problem spots will need
25 fixing anyway, so conversion would likely be smoother after some more
26 re-write work is done.
29 I hadn't heard of pycharm, I have been using pyflakes and pylint.
30 I'll check it out.
33 you can get my rewite branch so far at
34 http://dev.gentoo.org/~dolsen/catalyst/
35
36 When you clone it, it will compain about not being able to check out
37 master. You will need to "git checkout re-write". But I would just add
38 my url as another remote to your current clone and fetch it.
39
40 I have also made changes for the code to be easily run from the
41 checkout. Edit the testpath file then in the terminal you wish to run
42 catalyst from:
43
44 source ./tesptath
47 > Thanks for your time and any feedback,
48 > MMR...