From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Where to find extra files used for official releases?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:21:32
1 On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 15:47 -0600, Michael Nygard wrote:
2 > 1. Any attempt to mount partitions from the host results in a "/dev/hdax
3 > busy or already mounted" error. I have not solved this problem yet.
4
5 I'm going to guess that you had a version of genkernel in use that had a
6 busted evms implementation. If you use a new snapshot and genkernel
7 3.1.0h along with catalyst 1.1.5, you'll be doing good.
8
9 > 2. I seem to have lost auto-login. The password scrambling worked well,
10 > though. So there went a bootable coaster... I could not log in as root.
11
12 Try the newest catalyst. It performs the steps that were in the x86
13 fsscript.sh for 2004.3 automatically.
14
15 > I temporarily addressed the second problem by using an fsscript that
16 > someone had posted in the forums. It used "chpasswd" to force the root
17 > password to a known value.
18
19 This causes the LiveCD to start a bash shell on tty1 through tty6, which
20 is called by init, so they automatically restart if you accidentally
21 exit. The root password is still scrambled this way, making the
22 LiveCD's root password unpredictable.
23
24 > This got me a bootable disc with which I could log in.
25 >
26 > Still, it raised a question for me. Where can I find the fsscript,
27 > overlay, root_overlay, etc. that are (or might be) used to make the
28 > official releases? I want to start with something idential to the
29 > 2004.3 LiveCD (or 2005.0, depending on how long it takes me) as a
30 > baseline.
31
32 We used no root_overlay for 2004.3's release. The overlay can be
33 grabbed from any official LiveCD. The contents would be what is on the
34 LiveCD available outside booting it, or the stuff that is mounted
35 into /mnt/cdrom on the LIveCD when booted.
36
37 Using these and the kernel configurations and spec files from viewcvs
38 gentoo module /src/releng/{kconfig,specs}/$relver/$arch from the
39 www.gentoo.org site will give you an exact duplicate of the Gentoo
40 2004.3 LiveCD.
43 Chris Gianelloni
45 Games - Developer