From: William Kilian <will@×××.com>
To: wolf31o2@g.o
Cc: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] updates to the Catalyst reference manual
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:56:17
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 20:36 -0600, William Kilian wrote:
6 >>Here are some generic questions I have that reference manual doesn't answer:
7 >>
8 >>Where should I specify ${clst_storedir} and ${clst_sharedir}?
9 >>Environment, spec file, envscript?
13 >/etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf and nowhere else.
16 OK. It would be nice for those to eventually move to the spec file so
17 that multiple trees of builds can be easily maintained.
18
19 >>Can the grp/use, tinderbox/use, and livecd/use settings include
20 >>negations (-java) and wildcards?
24 >It uses normal portage USE syntax. If portage supports it, then you can
25 >use it.
28 Cool.
29
30 >>For each target, there are possibly use flags, virtuals, keywords, and
31 >>package masks coming possibly from any of: the catalyst spec file; the
32 >>portage_confdir; the snapshot's /usr/portage/profiles; the seed's
36 >The portage_confdir would override whatever is in the portage tree, just
37 >like on a normal system.
40 >>/usr/portage/profiles; the seed's /etc/make.conf; and the seed's
44 >The seed has no /usr/portage/profiles and the make.conf is ignored.
48 >>/etc/portage. For each target, which portage settings come from which
52 >Your seed stage should never have anything in /etc/portage, at all. If
53 >you are using a portage_confdir for one target, then you will need it
54 >for them all (unless it doesn't apply). For example, if you make a
55 >change to glibc in your portage_confdir, then you must use the same
56 >portage_confdir throughout the entire build process, or glibc will be
57 >rebuilt in a later target when emerge --newuse is called. Everything
58 >must be consistent across all targets, otherwise the latest target's
59 >environment takes precedence.
63 >>sources? A table for each target that illustrates what settings comes
64 >>from what location would provide me with a lot more clarity.
68 >It works identical to portage itself.
72 That explanation helps a lot. Thanks! Let me see if I have this straight:
73
74 The seed is basically devoid of portage configuration data because it
75 shouldn't have an /etc/portage or a /usr/portage/profiles and its
76 make.conf (if any) is ignored. The spec file use flags during an
77 applicable build are functionally equivalent to USE= in make.conf on a
78 normal system. The profile information is provided by the snapshot and
79 portage_confdir provides the information a normal system's /etc/portage
80 directory would provide. The snapshot's profile, target/use, and
81 portage_confdir are used the same way as portage on a normal system uses
82 its profile, USE in make.conf, and portage_confdir.
83
84 Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.
85
86 Cheers,
87
88 William Kilian