From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] updates to the Catalyst reference manual
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:45:47
1 On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 20:36 -0600, William Kilian wrote:
2 > Here are some generic questions I have that reference manual doesn't answer:
3 >
4 > Where should I specify ${clst_storedir} and ${clst_sharedir}?
5 > Environment, spec file, envscript?
6
7 /etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf and nowhere else.
8
9 > Can the grp/use, tinderbox/use, and livecd/use settings include
10 > negations (-java) and wildcards?
11
12 It uses normal portage USE syntax. If portage supports it, then you can
13 use it.
14
15 > For each target, there are possibly use flags, virtuals, keywords, and
16 > package masks coming possibly from any of: the catalyst spec file; the
17 > portage_confdir; the snapshot's /usr/portage/profiles; the seed's
18
19 The portage_confdir would override whatever is in the portage tree, just
20 like on a normal system.
21
22 > /usr/portage/profiles; the seed's /etc/make.conf; and the seed's
23
24 The seed has no /usr/portage/profiles and the make.conf is ignored.
25
26 > /etc/portage. For each target, which portage settings come from which
27
28 Your seed stage should never have anything in /etc/portage, at all. If
29 you are using a portage_confdir for one target, then you will need it
30 for them all (unless it doesn't apply). For example, if you make a
31 change to glibc in your portage_confdir, then you must use the same
32 portage_confdir throughout the entire build process, or glibc will be
33 rebuilt in a later target when emerge --newuse is called. Everything
34 must be consistent across all targets, otherwise the latest target's
35 environment takes precedence.
36
37 > sources? A table for each target that illustrates what settings comes
38 > from what location would provide me with a lot more clarity.
39
40 It works identical to portage itself.
43 Chris Gianelloni
44 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
45 Games - Developer
46 Gentoo Linux