From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] catalyst enhancement
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:57:29
1 Nelson Batalha wrote:
2 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be easier to just write a
3 > tiny script to "rsync" a local repository of specs that Catalyst can
4 > already read?
5 >
6 > $ script.sh address/file.spec [options]
7 >
8 > it would sync and call catalyst [options]. There's the advantage that
9 > you can easily modify this to pull in any way: scp, www, etc, or just
10 > add protocol as an option.
11 >
12 > Just for Catalyst to "do one thing, do it well" [1] ;).
15 > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
16 I'm not sure I'm following you.
17
18 The problem is that specfiles will be in different locations depending
19 on host or environment:
20 f.e. /catalyst-prod and /catalyst-dev
21
22 or
23 /home/ramon/src/catalyst-images/portage_config/webserver and
24 /home/frank/src/server-images/portage_config/webserver
25
26 We'd like to have a single definition inside the specfiles for a number
27 of the parameters, such as
28 portage_confdir = portage_config/webserver
29
30 instead of
31
32 portage_confdir =/home/ramon/src/catalyst-images/portage_config/webserver
33 and
34 portage_confdir = /home/ramon/src/catalyst-images/portage_config/webserver
35
36 How is this solved by rsyncing ?
37
38 I could write a makefile that substitutes variables in our specfiles
39 dependant on /etc/catalyst/catalyst.conf but I was curious whether this
40 was a more common use case and it didnt sound like such a weird thing
41 to have, relative path support in catalyst specfiles.
45 > Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com.
46 > Check it out! <http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx%20>
47 I got your email and about 18 copies with different microsoft taglines.
48 Did you clickety-click or is M$ having mailserver issues ?
49
50 Ramon
51 --
52 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list