From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] [rfc] Compile flag derivation logic (catalyst 2.x)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 02:33:41
1 On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello!
5 > It seems that in order to get your own compile flags applied for a
6 > stage3 or stage4 build you need to append a "CFLAGS=" line to
7 > /etc/make.conf from within the envscript - quite a dirty workaround not
8 > to mention the fact that the envscript is sourced multiple times.
9 >
10 > This is how final CFLAGS seem to be derived (numbers indicate order so
11 > higher numbers win):
12 >
13 >  Targets "stage1, "stage2"
14 >    1) key "CFLAGS" subarch defaults
15 >    2) key "CFLAGS" earlier /etc/make.conf
16 >    3) key "cflags" conf file
17 >    4) key "cflags" spec file
18 >
19 >  Targets "stage3", "stage4", "generic_stage"
20 >    1) key "CFLAGS" subarch defaults
21 >    2) key "CFLAGS" earlier /etc/make.conf
22 >
23 > That explains why my stage4 "subarch: core2" isn't really changing
24 > anything: it gets overriden by the /etc/make.conf from the stage3 I am
25 > using.
26 >
27 > Is that what you are expecting?
28 >
29 > Is my picture broken - are you experiencing something else with your
30 > stage builds?
31 >
32 > Can you thing of reasons to not allow overriding CFLAGS and friends for
33 > stage3 and stage4 builds?
34
35 Thanks for writing this up. This has always been a maze to me, so this
36 is very useful.
37
38 I can't think of a situation where CFLAGS specified in the spec or
39 conf file should be overridden by the CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf. So,
40 this seems wrong.
41
42 Are you saying that cflags specified in the spec file are totally
43 ignored for stage3 and stage4? That seems totally broken.
44
45 Matt