From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Differences between 2.x and 3.x, future merging
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:20:51
1 On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 02:26:33PM -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Hello!
6 > > The current process of copying changes from 2.x to 3.x or vice versa is
7 > > suboptimal, especially with no recent merge commit around.
8 > >
9 > > I would like to start this thread to list and discuss differences
10 > > between catalyst 2.x and 3.x so we can then decide what needs to be
11 > > merged in which direction and then have a single branch soon (ideally)
12 > > or at least two branches with clear and to-the-point diffs.
13 > >
14 > > Difference I have noticed (without searching) so far:
15 > >
16 > >  - Subarch "sh4aeb" is not supported on 3.x but 2.x
17 > >
18 > >  - Folder ./arch of 2.x is ./modules/catalyst/arch in 3.x
19 > >
20 > > Please add any differences you are aware of.  Many thanks!
21
22 There is a way to add the changes from catalyst_2 to master using git;
23 it will take someone who knows the code to make it happen, but you can
24 use rebase like so:
25
26 First, make sure that your copy of the repo is up to date and that you
27 have a branch called catalyst_2 that tracks the catalyst_2 branch. Then
28 do the following in the repo:
29
30 git checkout master
31 git rebase catalyst_2
32
33 Basically, this command will rework the master branch so that it
34 contains the changes that are only there but not in the catalyst_2
35 branch. You will have to resolve conflicts, then use git add and git
36 rebase--continue until that process is complete,.
37
38 Once you are done, run "git pull --rebase" to pick up the newest changes
39 in master, then git push to push everything back to master.
40
41 A conflict will look something like:
42
43 <<< HEAD
44 code
45 from
46 master
47 here
48 ==========
49 code
50 from
51 other
52 branch
53 here
54 >>> catalyst_2
55
56 and you have to decide which piece of that code, or if it is parts of
57 both pieces, to keep, and remove the rest of it including the
58 <<< === and >>> lines.
59
60 For more info about how rebase works look at man git-rebase. Also I
61 learned a lot from http://progit.org/book and http://www.gitready.com.
62
63 Who knows the code well enough to do this?
64
65 Thanks,
66
67 William