From: Luis Flores soberon <lmflores78@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Booting problems
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:55:57
1 I think you are right, it is also necessary an understanding of the booting
2 procces of a LiveCD...
3
4 Finally I have been able to get over that error...
5
6 The issue was in my kernel config. I had to enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM,
7 then i passed that error and i started getting another, something about UDF
8 or something like that, something related to the VFS, again, a kernel issue.
9 To the point:
10 These are the options the kernel must have activated, I am not sure about
11 what some of them does but it has worked for me:
12 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
13 CONFIG_LBD=y
14 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
15 CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
16
17 Every time i want to run catalyst to build the iso again,in order to make
18 changes take place, I must erase the iso created and all the directories
19 related to livecd-stage2 in /var/tmp/catalyst. With this steps i have been
20 able to make the iso bootable.
21 Now I am testing with my linuxrc...
22
23 I hope that what has been written above helps someone to go further in this
24 stuff
25
26 Luis
32 Luis wrote:
33
34 >I have just changed ir to zisofs but i am it still getting the same
35 >error...
36 >
37 >Is it something with my linuxrc???
38 >But It doesn't even try to do nothing with a directory called new.
39 >
40 >The very first script i was using did, but i have changed the
41 >livecd/linuxrc: in my spec and i am using another one...
42 >
43 >Thanks in advanced
44
45 I have been experimenting with catalyst for a couple of months now. After
46 successfully building a LiveCD, I also encountered problems during the boot
47 process and I was unable to determine what was ultimately causing them
48 because
49 I did not have a solid understanding of how catalyst worked.
50
51 I finally decided that the only way I was going to solve the problems was to
52 carefully study catalyst's source code until I understood exactly how it
53 worked.
54
55 This is my third week of studying the source code. I am finally starting to
56 become comfortable with the code and I am ready to make another attempt at
57 creating a LiveCD.
58
59 My thought is that you, myself and any other catalyst newbies who may be
60 lurking on the list should use one set of LiveCD-stage1 and LiveCD-stage2
61 spec
62 files and work with them until we understand exactly how they are
63 transformed
64 into a .iso image that boots correctly.
65
66 What do you think?
67
68 Ted