From: Nelson Batalha <nelson_batalha@××××.pt>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Encrypted livecd's - need testers
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 10:45:10
1 Hi Erick,
2
3 There are many uses for this!
4
5 They mainly come from the fact that now you can have sensitive information everywhere on your cd root, and not be afraid of losing your cd, either physically (happens to me all the time), or in the net if you don't want an open distribution.
6
7 -Read on for examples:
8
9 1) If you're in a country like China and you can't have applications like Tor on your desktop (suspicious), you can just make a livecd and try to disguise it as something else by filling the filesystem. Also it's portable and replicable. You could also encrypt your hard drive, but this way you don't have to worry if they take it for testing. Specially if using luks on the desktop (no plausible deniability). It's also much easier to hide a mini-cd/dvd physically.
10
11 2) Also for instance, I'm going away next semester and I won't be taking a laptop. However I would like to use gentoo, my favourite programs and have my passwords stored in them (like Firefox), and transport some personal and/or sensitive files. (only option is put those files in an encrypted container and extract them on *every* boot).
12
13 3) If you're creating some official livecd and would like to test it with some group, but for security reasons you prefered if nobody else tested it.
14
15 4) In general companies/organizations can create a easily updatable portable working environment and mail it or publish it online.
16
17 Etc.
18
19 Take care,