From: Erick M <balkira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Encrypted livecd's - need testers
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 12:08:36
1 Nelson,
2
3 Ok, I understand, thanks for clarifying.
4 So we can narrow down all those scenarios to one type of attack: theft by
5 third part (or yourself).
6
7 It does not protect more the user while he uses it nor from potential
8 "after-use" trails. Either you lose the livecd along with your identity (or
9 data that leads to your identity) and you get caught or while using the
10 software you get caught (like your TOR connections have been detected).
11 The only purpose and advantage encryption would have is to obfuscate some
12 passwords like in the firefox example you gave.
13
14 Now, from a legal point of view, being caught with an encrypted material
15 whether livecd or not in major countries (UK,GER,FR,US,china) requires from
16 you the decryption key (us patriot act, uk RIP act, etc) or else you can
17 straight take up to few years in some cases without much chance of having of
18 good defense (china=torture?). So in 95% of cases you end up giving away
19 your key to prove that you are not a spy from whatever organisation and that
20 at least you hadn't that bad intention with your encrypted software. And you
21 do handle the key in the objective of lowering the sentence you get for
22 being caught in the first place.
23
24 I think that encryption has nothing to do with hiding. In the contrary, it
25 is like a big flag standing saying "hey look at me I got something to hide,
26 come and get me!". It is just obfuscating technology.
27
28 The real solution to your problem would be to use a steganographic layer (
29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography ) . Not for the whole squashfs
30 but only for a single file (whatever the size) inside a clear livecd. Note
31 that 20% of the size of that file is really containing data, you do not want
32 to push too much (50%) or we get data loss (blocks from different containers
33 overwriting them) in an exponentially manner.
34
35 You want to be able to *deny* that you are in possession of such material.
36 Go from the basis that if you get caught you will *have to* handle your key
37 away. That is real practice because you can get 5 times more being secretive
38 than actual real sentence against the data you want to hide.
39 A steganographic FS will allow you when being caught with your livecd of
40 saying first: "it is a clear livecd!" Sounds idiotic but believe me, it is
41 the best start for the official police questioning. Then in the worst case
42 scenario, they find your single encrypted file and ask you for the key which
43 you will provide one of the many different you have set up (properties of a
44 steganographic FS), which will decrypt a part of that encrypted file,
45 discovering data that will not incriminate you so far for just having a
46 picture of your dog.
47 Charges are dropped, you justify your secretive attitude as being respectful
48 of your privacy rights and next morning you wake up in your bed!
49
50 Because I want to be fair, I think having an encryption layer is great for
51 catalyst, but when related to the specific purpose you described you would
52 better at least give a try to a steganographic FS if you really fear the
53 sentence you can get for the data you are hiding.
54
55 You will not find much (I mean actual real software) besides some
56 linux-2.2tweak over ext2 "proof-of-concept" (10years old not stable
57 unreliable) and
58 an update by some chinese with 2.4 but the whole is mainly broken and I
59 guess somehow a little taboo, the projects seems dead, no main other
60 projects have been replaced.
61
62 You can try an implementation I have worked on few years ago. It does
63 everything that I have described (in a non friendly C hardcore way) so far
64 and is called denyfs.
65
66 It is not a driver, and can be started in userland if the correct losetup
67 and cryptsetup have been done.
68
69 http://www.openchill.org/2005/06/denyfs_a_steganographic_file_s.php#more
70
71 have a look there, it is not fully stable, requires manual compilation and
72 configuration though it does the job (I made a quick GUI in gtk if you
73 provide the gtk USE flag). Follow the howto to get a grip on it. And
74 remember if you want to retrieve with a 90% probability your data as you
75 have put them in the box, do not exceed 15-20% of the total size of the
76 file! And even do not be surprised when it happens.
77
78 Steganography is a concept that aims at small and *static* file system. Do
79 not even think about putting an OS(where files are dynamically arranged
80 again and again) inside a steganographic FS, it is as of the concepts and
81 mathematics we have simply impossible.
82
83 I didn't realized I wrote so much, I'm just passioned by this topic because
84 of past experiences moving from one country to another. I am currently
85 developing a Portage based GNU/Linux natively encrypted OS and I'm about to
86 re open DenyFS inside that distribution by stabilizing it, hence my reason
87 for being so communicative.
88
89 Thanks for reading
90