From: Nelson Batalha <nelson_batalha@××××.pt>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Encrypted livecd's - need testers
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:44:31
1 I would like to quote these two statements:
2 http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS#Two_things_to_remember
3
4 Thanks for your help, but:
5
6 > It does not protect more the user while he uses it nor from
7 > potential "after-use" trails.
8
9 So? Was I supposed to release a complete secure solution right now? :P
10
11 > Either you lose the livecd
12 > along with your identity (or data that leads to your identity) and
13 > you get caught or while using the software you get caught (like
14 > your TOR connections have been detected). The only purpose and
15 > advantage encryption would have is to
16 > obfuscate some passwords like in the firefox example you gave.
17
18 The idea is that with this livecd you're on the move, boot the cd, use
19 tor and go away asap once finished. Make sure all your sensible data
20 is sent in a package just before leaving. If you lose it or someone
21 looks at it, it won't suspect much.
22
23 > The real solution to your problem would be to use a steganographic
24 > layer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography[1] ) .
25
26 It's not like I didn't remembered steganography, read below.
27
28 > You will not find much (I mean actual real software) besides some
29 > linux-2.2 tweak over ext2 "proof-of-concept" (10years old
30 > not stable unreliable)
31
32 False? Look for TrueCrypt.
33
34 > I think that encryption has nothing to do with hiding. In the
35 > contrary, it is like a big flag standing saying "hey look at
36 > me I got something to hide, come and get me!". It is just
37 > obfuscating technology.
38
39 Using the crypt_silent option how likely are you of being catched?
40 Just put some binaries of emacs and so on on the root, and demonstrate
41 in the fake root that's what is for. It is a good hiding technique I
42 think, but not perfect.
43
44 The thing is, given the low probability of being catched, either by
45 having the squashfs with Steganography or not, some large file would
46 be there, and if they're good enough to realize it is a bootable
47 livecd and it is forcing a fake boot, then they're good enough to see
48 a big closed file is there.
49
50 Unless one did multiple hidden volumes inside this one, or just hide
51 some files inside the root. But we're back to less usability and we're
52 being forced to use truecrypt (I don't see a currently free maintained
53 option).
54
55 If we accept the Truecrypt restrictions (haven't read everything, but
56 it's not gpl so I assume they're more restrictive :P), we could
57 implement these several layers of encryption and increase
58 functionality with some scripts hidden in a pen for example. But to
59 put any programs like firefox+torplugin+tor+privoxy in them, and
60 separate in small files, that's a lot of work. This implementation is
61 good enough for most cases. Also Luks is well maintained and GPL.
62
63 > Now, from a legal point of view, being caught with an encrypted
64 > material whether livecd or not in major countries
65 > (UK,GER,FR,US,china) requires from you the decryption key
66
67 Fine for me, don't do anything illegal in free countries. As for the
68 China example, just do as on my second point and use the following
69 idea: encrypt with luks as it is, and for the more sensitive files you
70 can use stenography using stenography software in a separate volume
71 (like a usb pen). If they ask you for the key, give it to them and
72 show just some more innocent files you were hiding.
73
74 It's better then have the cd almost all open, again, because you may lose it.
75
76 Let me know if I'm wrong or if you have more ideas ;)
77
78 Cheers,
79 Nelson
80 --