From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Make liveCD how to
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:41:49
1 On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 22:00 +0100, js wrote:
2 > I've been looking in to how to make my own livecd based upon the gentoo
3 > livecd's 2005.
4 > For what i've found there is a tool named catalyst which enables me to
5 > do so.
6
7 You really need to read the FAQ.
8
9 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/faq.xml
10
11 > What I want to do is to keep the current x86 livecd's as they are, add
12 > some binaries and some self made scripts.
13 > I've been looking through the documentation provided with catalyst but I
14 > must say that I can't figure out how to begin doing this.
15 > The documentation is helpfull when you allready know how to work with
16 > catalyst my opinion. The /usr/share/docs directory contains some
17 > examples, but they are examples for what?
18
19 They are spec files. A spec file is the file you give catalyst to tell
20 it what to do.
21
22 > Can I download a gentoo 2005.1-r1 bootcd iso and add software to it with
23 > the catalyst tool?
24
25 No.
26
27 > Do I need to have a freshly installed clean gentoo to make a new bootcd?
28
29 No. You don't even need Gentoo, at all. All you need is Linux
30 (currently) with python.
31
32 > Does catalyst produce a new iso file or something similar,
33
34 Yes.
35
36 > I was hoping if someone could jumpstart me with this.
37
38 You can find a *ton* of howto documents on both gentoo-wiki and also on
39 the forums. We do not have an official one yet, but any of those
40 resources should give you what you need. This list is more for specific
41 support, so if you run into any specific problems, feel free to ask them
42 here.
45 Chris Gianelloni
46 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
47 x86 Architecture Team