From: Paul Smith <psmith@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] How is initrd built?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:19:34
1 %% Eric Edgar <rocket@g.o> writes:
2
3 ee> Catalyst doesnt really support unionfs at the moment. You will
4 ee> need to add unionfs to your isolinux loader script to get it to
5 ee> work.
6
7 "isolinux loader script"?
8
9 ee> unionfs=/path/to/block device will let you use a formatted device
10 ee> as the place to store changes. This code is VERY experimental and
11 ee> is currently just starting to be supported. It will not be in
12 ee> official cds for sometime as no one has tested it all besides
13 ee> myself.
14
15 Hm. I had it working with the previous genkernel/catalyst, with a
16 custom linuxrc, but took out what I had in favor of the new support;
17 maybe I was too hasty :-).
20 The way I had it working was twofold: first, I used it even in the
21 livecd situation where there was no formatted device; in this case the
22 "top" filesystem in the union, the RW one, was a ramdisk. The advantage
23 here is that I could avoid the long tmpfs copy step (by far the slowest
24 step) during boot: instead of copying all the modifiable directory
25 structures (/etc, /var, etc.) to a ramdisk I just used the unionfs to
26 overlay the RO partition and I was done.
27
28 Secondly, as you say, it could be used as a persistent storage. In this
29 case I had the linuxrc try to mount disk devices (using /sys/block/...)
30 until I found one with a special token file in the root of the
31 filesystem. I had it hardcoded to ext3 so I didn't need to worry about
32 different filesystem types. If I found an ext3 filesystem with that
33 token file in the root I would use that as the top (RW) element in the
34 unionfs.
37 Anyway, for the time being I'm mostly interested in the first item:
38 speeding up the boot. As things are turning out it's going to be more
39 important in my project to be able to install the whole thing to disk
40 and boot off of disk, than to boot off of CD with a persistent storage.
41 However, unionfs really helps me in two ways anyway: first is the boot
42 time from CD as I mentioned above. Second is the copy time to the HD
43 partition, which can also benefit.
47 Paul D. Smith <psmith@××××××.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
48 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
50 These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
51 --
52 gentoo-catalyst@g.o mailing list