From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Problem starting Nessusd
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:45:45
1 On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 10:58 +0000, Kosta Todorovic wrote:
2 > It seems the /etc/nessus directory is empty.
3
4 Does nessus normally configure itself? I thought it did not ship with a
5 working configuration, since it requires some SSL generation and to add
6 a user manually.
7
8 > I'm not entirely sure but it seems most of the package /etc/dirs are
9 > empty. For some reason default config files did not get copied over or
10 > stage2 emptied them. Unfortunately I cant seem to find why.
11
12 > I'm aware that that a filesystem overlay can be used and I have tried
13 > to do that but I must be doing something wrong.
14 >
15 > I dont exactly understand the difference with:
16 > #livecd/overlay: /root/catalyst/overlay
17 > #livecd/root_overlay: /root/catalyst/overlay
18
19 livecd/overlay adds files outside the livecd loop. This is where things
20 like the Handbook go.
21
22 livecd/root_overlay adds files inside the livecd loop. This is where
23 files in /etc go and so on.
24
25 > Also, what exactly is supposed to be stored in /root/catalyst/overlay.
26 > Is it a directory? A text config file? Shrug.
27
28 It is an overlay. It looks exactly like your filesystem that you want
29 overlaid over the root filesystem of your CD. If you want to add a file
30 to /etc/nessus, then you need to make
31 a /root/catalyst/overlay/etc/nessus directory and stick your files in
32 it.
33
34 > Any suggestions would help. Or if anyone has successfully got Nessusd
35 > the config files would be really helpful.
36
37 USE="doc examples" emerge catalyst
38
39 This will give you the new example files
40 in /usr/share/doc/catalyst-1.1.9/examples, which are much more complete
41 in their documentation and explanations.
44 Chris Gianelloni
46 Games - Developer
47 Gentoo Linux