From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Problem with gnap/catalyst/genkernel and USE-flags
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:45:40
1 On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 01:06 +0300, Philipp Riegger wrote:
2 > But: In livecd-stage2 there is the genkernel callback function, which
3 > is in my case a emerge call. I don't know how it is in general, but
4 > probably the same. And for this emerge call it might be quite handy
5 > to have package.mask and package.keywords. So, why was the desicion
6 > made to use boot/kernel/whatever/use instead of portage_confdir,
7 > which is much more flexible?
8
9 Release Engineering *never* uses portage_confdir for our official builds
10 and never will. Everything must reside in the spec file itself. The
11 only reason that portage_confdir exists is for you guys to allow you to
12 hack up your own builds in a manner that would be totally unacceptable,
13 by Release Engineering standards.
14
15 The best/most tested method for changing USE is boot/kernel/$x/use in
16 your spec file.
17
18 > Again, what does the [boot/kernel:x] in the documentation stand for?
19
20 Huh?
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
25 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
26 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
27 Gentoo Foundation