From: Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] OCFS support?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:41:25
1 Let me just preface this by saying that I work at Oracle, but not in
2 the Database or in OCFS2...
6 On 3/21/06, Jan Klopper <janklopper@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > Hi,
8 >
9 > just noticed the 2.6.16 kernel release.
10 >
11 > One of the biggest changest to me seem to be OCFS, but the question i can't
12 > seem to find an answer for is the following:
13 >
14 > Does OCFS need a single shared storge solution, or does it propogate file
15 > system changes around the cluster to the nodes local drives like lustre or
16 > coda would?
17
18 I don't know the answer offhand, but the user guide can be found here
19 (http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/ocfs2_users_guide.pdf)
20 and chop that address down to just the oss.oracle.com to find general
21 information about all of Oracle's Open Source endeavors.
22
23 My guess, since they support shared root, is that its a shared disk solution.
24
25 > If OCFS does indeed propogate file and file system changes around the cluste
26 > witout using an expensive Fibrechannel storage sollution, would't it be the
27 > holy grail of simple clustered file systems?
28
29 See previous.
30
31 > I mean could you use it to share one disk between a set of webserver cluster
32 > nodes which usually just read a lot, and occasionally write to their disks?
33 >
34 > And could this be used as a file system to allow mysql to run on a cluster
35 > of nodes?
36
37 Considering that they support Oracle running on OCFS2 (as well as
38 shared root), I doubt this would be a problem in either case.
39
40 As for the mysql question, I'm not sure that Larry would be too happy
41 with someone running mysql on top of OCFS2. Not that I expect you to
42 consider it, but there is a "lite" version of Oracle DB that's free
43 called Express Edition
44 (http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html).
45 Exactly how scaled back it is, I have no idea, but its Oracle DB and
46 free - that's at least something.
47
48 > Could we setup a cluster of nodes which all read and write from the database
49 > stored on such a FS?
50
51 This would be more a database issue (locking and so forth), but yea.
54 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list