From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 23:56:38
1 I studied Lustre last week a little bit and, talking about MDSs and
2 OSSs, I came with one reason for them not to make Lustre to support
3 Gentoo: Lustre uses a lot of kernel features that if not enabled will
4 cause the kernel to crash.
5
6 I didn't find any documentation explaning those features but I could
7 make a list of the orbivious ones: LVM, DM, ext3, ...
8
9 I think that even they can't make a list of all those features, that
10 is why they have to make Lustre available mainly on pre-compiled /
11 pre-configured kernels. And, thank God, Gentoo doesn't have a
12 predefined kernel. Although that would make easy for them to change
13 and distribute it.
14
15 What do you think about my ideia?
16
17 But that leads to a more generic question: if Linux is always Linux
18 (the kernel), and the distro is only a way to organize packages, files
19 and init scripts, why would anyone need restrict an open source
20 software to a distro? If my first assumption is right, the quicky (but
21 not necessarily well thought) answer would be: lack of knowledge.
22
23 Best,
24 Daniel Colchete
25