From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] examples of (large) Gentoo clusters
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 03:56:18
1 Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
2 > I studied Lustre last week a little bit and, talking about MDSs and
3 > OSSs, I came with one reason for them not to make Lustre to support
4 > Gentoo: Lustre uses a lot of kernel features that if not enabled will
5 > cause the kernel to crash.
6 >
7 > I didn't find any documentation explaning those features but I could
8 > make a list of the orbivious ones: LVM, DM, ext3, ...
9 >
10 > I think that even they can't make a list of all those features, that
11 > is why they have to make Lustre available mainly on pre-compiled /
12 > pre-configured kernels. And, thank God, Gentoo doesn't have a
13 > predefined kernel. Although that would make easy for them to change
14 > and distribute it.
15 >
16 > What do you think about my ideia?
17
18 It really shouldn't be that difficult to add in features until it stops
19 crashing, then specify those features as dependencies in the kernel
20 build system.
21
22 > But that leads to a more generic question: if Linux is always Linux
23 > (the kernel), and the distro is only a way to organize packages, files
24 > and init scripts, why would anyone need restrict an open source
25 > software to a distro? If my first assumption is right, the quicky (but
26 > not necessarily well thought) answer would be: lack of knowledge.
27
28 Sure. If they offer to support Lustre on a distribution, they need to be
29 able to fix problems on that distribution. That means being aware of
30 possible distribution-specific interactions that could cause issues and
31 also knowing how to deal with them as well as reproduce them locally.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Donnie
35 --