From: Brian Kroth <bpkroth@×××××.com>
To: Giacomo Bagnoli <g.bagnoli@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] CLVM on amd64 profile
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:40:02
1 Giacomo Bagnoli <g.bagnoli@××××××.com> 2009-05-18 17:06:
2 > Brian,
3 > first of all thanks for your answer
4 >
5 > Il giorno lun, 18/05/2009 alle 09.29 -0500, Brian Kroth ha scritto:
6 > > I remember looking at this a while ago as well and being fairly
7 > > confused. I'm fairly certain that lvm2 with the use flags you mention
8 > > is the way to go, so you might have to unmask them in your
9 > > /etc/portage/profile/use.mask (add -clvm, -cman).
10 > >
11 > > OCFS2 generally uses it's own different cluster stack than CMAN (which
12 > > uses openais). Since I believe 2.6.26 you can use the other one, but I
13 > > haven't found it to be as stable.
14 >
15 > I didn't understand here what you mean. Which one is "the other one"?
16 > (maybe it's just my english :P )
17
18 Since 2.6.26, OCFS2 has two cluster stacks available to it:
19 - ocfs2_stack_o2cb: which is the original stack
20 - ocfs2_stack_user: which is the one that requires cman and openais
21
22 > > It also requires quite a bit of extra
23 > > configuration for proper fencing, whereas that's built into the OCFS2
24 > > stack. Since you're doing this with DRBD it sounds like you're trying
25 > > to do it on the cheap so proper fencing probably isn't available
26 > > anyways.
27 >
28 > Yes, you're right. The only way I have to get a sort of STONITH (if it
29 > can be used, I've still to check this) is IPMI which is working well so
30 > far.
31
32 I believe that will work just fine.
33
34 > > If you aren't doing anything with LVM that needs to be cluster aware
35 > > (eg: just a concatenation of multiple PVs, no striping) then it should
36 > > be just fine without CLVM. The key is that you /must/ take all but one
37 > > node offline (umount; vgchange -an) before you do any LVM operations
38 > > such as adding more extents, else they'll have an inconsistent view of
39 > > the VGs/LVs. This also isn't technically supported but I've run it
40 > > without problems for a year or so now.
41 >
42 > The problem is that a node will use (mount) some LVs and the other one
43 > some others. So I can't do the fast way as you suggest, as I need to
44 > stop all services that use data on LVs before unmounting.
45
46 But, with OCFS2 you can (even temporarily) have a single node mount all
47 the LVs, move your service IPs over, and _then_ umount and stop them on
48 the other one while you do your changes and then remount them all.
49 That's the great things amount a clustered fs - more than one node can
50 play in the sandbox without problems.
51
52 Also, I'm gonna put a plug in for Heartbeat [1] for service management.
53 It's much more powerful than rgmanager in my opinion. If you're dead
54 set on using the openais cluster stack you can also use pacemaker [2].
55
56 The model I typically use for Heartbeat, is to have it run a couple of
57 dummy monitoring scripts as resource agents clones that each set an
58 attribute as to the service's health on a machine. Then using the value
59 of that attribute I setup rules to move service IPs to the "healthiest"
60 node, where your definition of "healthiest" is completely dependent upon
61 your monitoring scripts.
62
63 Cheers,
64 Brian