From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] SAN Clustered Filesystem
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:45:37
1 Hanni Ali wrote:
2 >> I've looked at implementing a mysql-cluster in great detail and let it
3 >> go because it's mostly meant for a setup with a fixed database-size.
4 >> If you experience (large) growth in your database volume clustering is
5 >> not very suitable (we're in that situation)
6 >
7 > I'd agree, database clustering has to be planned although replication
8 > is fairly straight forward to allow a significant increase in read
9 > access. You may want to consider partitioning databases though to
10 > allow multi-master scalability. i.e. one partition for search another
11 > for user data another for content or media etc.
12 The main problem with clustering in mysql atm is that they limit the
13 amount of nodes in the cluster (64 max iirc)
14 With a max datasize per clusternode and redundancy requirements you end
15 up with a maximum size of your database.
16 Can't grow beyond that.
17 >
18 > I did a nice graphic here for simple MySQL database replication.
19 >
20 > http://ainkaboot.co.uk/dev/cluster-architecture.php#database-replication
21 >
22 Looks nice ;-)
23 We run serveral partitioned databases and also off-load the replication
24 of the master to a second tier of replication machines in some cases.
25 This helps the master in coping with traffic while keeping the
26 replication fast towards the read-slaves as well.
27
28 Grtz Ramon
29 --
30 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list