From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Infrastructure Documentation
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 13:52:12
1 Hi Andre!
2
3 Well done man! That's certainly a great job you did.
4
5 Here we also have some automation, but we install everything through a
6 PXE booted Gentoo and we have scripts and, where there isn't a script,
7 we have a documented installation procedure. This happens because I'm
8 also in Brazil and the servers are in The US (14 of them) and in
9 Brazil (4 of them)...
10
11 But, even after the installation there are a lot of information one
12 would need to troubleshoot a problem or to improve the system. Things
13 like: how are the databases replicated across servers and data
14 centers, how does the e-mail servers interact with each other and with
15 the storage, how the storage replication works, database schemes, how
16 I configured the replicated load-balancers, what is programmed to
17 happen when the system detects one server died, maintenance
18 procedures, how to upgrade all the servers in one shot, things like
19 that.
20
21 Somebody told-me to take a look at Microsoft Visio, I'll giving a shot
22 at that, but Microsoft Visio is not on-line (nothing is perfect,
23 right?), so if somebody here is on call at his home and something goes
24 wrong he doesn't have access to the necessary data unless I have a
25 terminal server with Visio installed on it...
26
27 Best regards,
28 Daniel
29