From: Aaron Tygart <thekuffs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Small University Gentoo cluster
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:27:10
1 > > I've got a question for experienced: there's a need on my univ, to
2 > > build a cluster. We may be given a bunch of PCs of similar
3 > > configuration to put them together into high performance cluster for
4 > > physicists. However, these PCs are supposed to be connected to the
5 > > external NFS as workstations, and students be allowed to login (on
6 > > their old accounts) and work on their projects. Is it possible to do
7 > > it with Gentoo? Is it possible to administrate _all_ nodes at once?
8 > > How would look emerge -u world, for all computers? Where to look to
9 > > more information?
10
11 The department admisn use a meta-ebuild and binary packages to keep
12 our workstations in line here. Just have a system set aside as a
13 build master and share your portage tree among the workstations. The
14 process I use for the cluster is similar:
15 http://support-dev.cis.ksu.edu/BeocatAdminDocs/HowBeocatWorks#virtuals
16 The cluster uses an unionfs/nfs root, so it's not *quite* same as your
17 setup, but the meta-ebuild concept is easily transferrable.
21 Aaron Tygart
22 --
23 gentoo-cluster@g.o mailing list