From: Brady Catherman <bradyc@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-cluster@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cluster] Small University Gentoo cluster
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:03:31
1 Mt favorite way to update/manage my clusters is to use pdsh. If you
2 NFS mount your portage directory then you can do this. Updates come
3 in three steps:
4
5 Step1: Make the package.
6 emerge -bu <program/world>
7
8 Step 2: Install it everywhere.
9 pdsh -a emerge -buk <program/world>
10
11 Step 3: Update the YACI install image.
12 (This is a custom script I wrote that mounts the portage directory
13 and proc on the install image directory, then runs the command
14 specified in a chroot environment.)
15 /tftpboot/images/chroot.sh emerge -buk <program/world>
18 I actually wrap this entire process in a single script to make things
19 easier =)
20
21 And just FYI.. always run jobs niced =) Condor does this for you
22 automatically and SGE can be made to do it with a bit of tweaking. It
23 makes installs go so much faster =)