From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: 'Roy Bamford' <neddyseagoon@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-nfp] RE: [gentoo-council] Foundation by laws: new Article V
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:09:59
1 > > ... I may not agree to it and I
2 > > can accept that, but it is entirely within my right to ask for
3 > > clarification.
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 > Chrissy,
7 >
8 > You bring up an interesting point about 'rights' which since its likely
9 > to set a precedent I would like to respond to.
10 >
11 > The council is answerable to the entire developer community. The
12 > Foundation is answerable to its members. The two groups are not the
13 > same. You are a member of the former but not the latter, therefore
14 > have no rights with respect to the foundation.
15
16 It is true that the memberships are not identical but the overlapping is
17 intense to say the least. I became an official developer in April 2007, some
18 17 months ago. The only reason I am not a member of the foundation is
19 because foundation elections were postponed 6 months, otherwise I'd be a
20 member currently. I'd like to apply to become a member of the foundation but
21 cannot find how this is done.
22
23 From talking to others that predate the foundation and were around for the
24 implementation, the original intent was that any developer of greater than
25 one year could apply to become a foundation member, but to simplify the
26 process for all it was automatically granted at election time if they had
27 not previously applied. Evidently the process was not documented and I'd
28 like to pursue it.
31 Kind regards,
32 Christina Fullam
33 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations