From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, gentoo-council@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-council] Re: Stepping back from council duties
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:31:58
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 18:49 Mon 17 Nov , Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
3 > > So we could end up with only 1 council member in the worst case? ;)
4 >
5 > Yes, although worst is a matter of definition. If the developer
6 > community wants what is effectively a benevolent dictator, then let's
7 > give it to them. This is, after all, a community distribution so we
8 > should do what the community wants.
9
10 That would lead us to completely new (or old) leadership model. If I was
11 to vote on a council I'd like to get a council, not a benevolent
12 dictator.
13
14 > > I don't think that's something we really want.
15 >
16 > The majority of developers should choose what kind of leadership they
17 > want, instead of us deciding for them.
18
19 I'm speaking for myself here - I personally don't want a dictatorship.
20
21 > > In my opinion we need to have at minimum 5 council members to make
22 > > sure there's some kind of redundancy plus to get different views and
23 > > ideas on issues brought up to the council.
24 >
25 > Anyone can contribute views and ideas ... why do you need to be on the
26 > council to do that? Most of the issues are discussed on -dev, and I've
27 > pushed to make that a requirement and meetings as primarily just votes.
28
29 Discussions on a proposal are only one part, but it needs to be voted
30 upon that proposal. Having a larger council makes sure a broader part of
31 the developer community and there views are represented in that decision
32 making. Again, that's my personal opinion - I'm clearly in favor of the
33 democratic approach instead of a dictatorship model.
34
35 Tobias