From: roger <roger@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] Hello!
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:21:44
On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 02:28 -0500, Jason Alonso wrote:

> I've hypothesized, to myself, that prefixed portage may work for > Cygwin, but I haven't looked very carefully. > > The Cygwin community has been very closed to the idea of admitting > Portage (I've tried), even in light of other package management > systems (like RPM) that they support. As an alternative, they have a > Portage-like build system (for building setup.ini packages) called > cygport, whose community of packages I've seen mentioned elsewhere in > this thread. > > The Cygwin chapter of my life has spanned from 1998 to the present, > but it's drawing to a close. Before long, I expect to leave the > Windows world entirely. Best of luck to you, though I'll keep an eye > on this mailing list and offer what advice I can. > > Regards, > Jason
Thanks for your hard work and commitment. Looks like RedHat (Cygwin) basically fulfilled the needs & goals of many (and still is to date). I still believe a Gentoo Cygwin would probably quicken the Cygwin binaries up a large amount. (As all the binaries are compiled for i386, and I see a huge difference on my pentium3 stuff around here.) Unfortunately, I rarely use Windows at all these days! If I were forced to, I would definitely be pushing into this project. Even though, I whenever I install Windows anywhere, I'll always definitely install Cygwin as well. -- Roger http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html Key fingerprint = 8977 A252 2623 F567 70CD 1261 640F C963 1005 1D61 Wed Dec 26 10:21:08 AKST 2007 -- gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list