From: Trevor Forbes <t4bs@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] interest in gentoo-cygwin
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:32:51
Patrick Lauer wrote:

>Well - > >first you'd need to fix portage for Cygwin usage. Small stuff: >- user/group check is not reliable in windows > * either remove or add "root" and "portage" users >- there's some userland check that fails, need to append WINNT5.0 if I >recall correctly >- there were some path issues, I think those are fixed - hardcoded paths >need to be fixed > >So portage mostly runs. >emerge sync doesn't work as we have a few ebuilds with ":" in the name >--> cygwin interprets that as a drive letter >--> write a sane rsync_exclude (or better, start a cygwin-only ebuild >repo) > >Now you try bootstrapping. >--> the linker used to be really dumb and wasn't capable of repeated >compiles. > * if that still exists the linker needs to be fixed - this will be >tricky >--> glibc doesn't exist on Cygwin, the cygwin libc is evil > * either write an ebuild for cygwin-libc providing virtual/libc or port >glibc > * I never managed to build cygwin-libc from scratch, it's evil :-) > * porting glibc will be _a lot_ of work, cygwin libc is incomplete >--> many packages need lots of patching > * extract patches from cygwin repositories, apply to ebuilds and test > * never managed to get gcc to build, that'll be lots of testing until >it works reliably >--> now you should have a smallish system that can "emerge -e system" > >--> create an install image like the cygwin installer that plops in a >stage3 equivalent > >--> start porting as many ebuilds as you can > >People with some spare time and lots of motivation can try "Services for >Unix" instead of Cygwin >as far as I can tell it's not as buggy, but has been crippled so that >it's not easy to use. > >Cygwin and SFU can co-exist and should share 99% of code, so trying both >is acceptable > >I don't have the time for actual coding/testing now, but I'm willing to >provide ressources (rsync repo, cvs / svn repo, coordination) > >If there are any questions left feel free to ask! > >wkr, >Patrick > > >
These are "nice to know" points. If you remember anything else, pls let me know. Tks I have started to working on it (for fun) in my spare time and I am having some success. I have set up the user/group in Cygwin to look more like Linux which is mostly working. I added the os definitions which were missing from portage. I am now at the stage where the file locks are not getting removed. The ":" might be tricky, however, I could use a managed mount for portage. Perhaps the offending packages could simply be renamed. I am only interested in getting Cygwin working so SFU not in my scope. I have not found Cygwin buggy, and even if it were broken, its just code that can be fixed... Do you have examples... Tks Trevor -- gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list