From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-cygwin@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-cygwin] interest in gentoo-cygwin
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:04:30
On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 12:23 +0100, Marcus Priesch wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 09:59 +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote: > > Interest yes, manpower no as far as I can tell. > > > > I'd really like to see it go somewhere ... > > is there a point to where someone can find information on work that > needs to be done ? - what are the main points ?
Well - first you'd need to fix portage for Cygwin usage. Small stuff: - user/group check is not reliable in windows * either remove or add "root" and "portage" users - there's some userland check that fails, need to append WINNT5.0 if I recall correctly - there were some path issues, I think those are fixed - hardcoded paths need to be fixed So portage mostly runs. emerge sync doesn't work as we have a few ebuilds with ":" in the name --> cygwin interprets that as a drive letter --> write a sane rsync_exclude (or better, start a cygwin-only ebuild repo) Now you try bootstrapping. --> the linker used to be really dumb and wasn't capable of repeated compiles. * if that still exists the linker needs to be fixed - this will be tricky --> glibc doesn't exist on Cygwin, the cygwin libc is evil * either write an ebuild for cygwin-libc providing virtual/libc or port glibc * I never managed to build cygwin-libc from scratch, it's evil :-) * porting glibc will be _a lot_ of work, cygwin libc is incomplete --> many packages need lots of patching * extract patches from cygwin repositories, apply to ebuilds and test * never managed to get gcc to build, that'll be lots of testing until it works reliably --> now you should have a smallish system that can "emerge -e system" --> create an install image like the cygwin installer that plops in a stage3 equivalent --> start porting as many ebuilds as you can People with some spare time and lots of motivation can try "Services for Unix" instead of Cygwin as far as I can tell it's not as buggy, but has been crippled so that it's not easy to use. Cygwin and SFU can co-exist and should share 99% of code, so trying both is acceptable I don't have the time for actual coding/testing now, but I'm willing to provide ressources (rsync repo, cvs / svn repo, coordination) If there are any questions left feel free to ask! wkr, Patrick
> greets, > mexx (a somesparetimeavailablenowgentooenthusiast). >
-- -- gentoo-cygwin@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-cygwin] interest in gentoo-cygwin Trevor Forbes <t4bs@×××××××××××.au>
Re: [gentoo-cygwin] interest in gentoo-cygwin Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>