From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installation thread
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 02:32:59

dams@×××.fr wrote:

| We want (at least) an installer so that not-so-expert linux users can
| install gentoo. That is, it must be GUI, simple, short. In my
| opinion, installation should not include config tools that can be run
| after installation.
| The installer should detect as much as possible, provide language
| selection, disk partitionning, package selection, root passwd, maybe
| network, and X config.

Network and X config can be done after installation, which is not what
you/we want as mentioned above :)
X config, at least, will need to be done automaticly during boot before
the installer is started anyway..

| We could use the livecd, build some graphical interface that asks
| minimal question to be able to install, add some scripts that copy
| the needed stuff on the harddrive, set up portage, and X.

QInGen, once I remove configuration things, will ask minimal number of
questions... I'm not sure what to do with the licensing stuff yet
though. Currently, it requires the user to check the checkbox next to
every license (displaying them when clicked on). What do we legally need
as far as a license agreement dialog?

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -